Monday, May 11, 2015

No Two Snowflakes are Alike

Today I did something I rarely do anymore and went into a Starbucks coffee shop for a non-fat, extra-hot, grande latte.  It's been almost a year since I've had one of those, but with overcast skies and a chill in the air, not to mention an intense feeling of sleep deprivation, a hit of caffeine seemed like just the ticket.

Several things had changed about the Starbucks experience since my last visit. First of all, my friendly barista did not ask for my name and so I just waited for them to call out the order. "Non-fat latte" did not have quite the same ring to it as "Andrea" would have, but still it tasted good.

Next, they have begun posting the calorie counts along with the prices on their salads and baked goods, making me think they would never sell any of the stuff now. I mean, a teeny little blueberry scone -- and I mean teeny, not one of those bulky triangular things you could use as a doorstop -- for 420 calories? No way, that's like a third of my daily allotment, I thought to myself.

But in line right behind me was a mother/daughter duo. The 20-something daughter peered into the pastry display case and pointed to the very same blueberry scone I had mentally rejected, reporting happily, "Oh, look that's only 420 calories. I'm getting one!" Her mother responded with a thumbs-up, saying, "Me too," and reminding me that it's a miracle we ever see eye-to-eye with anyone, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What, Me A Sex Object?

Hannah and her body, for all to see. As a big fan of the TV series Ted Lasso, it was always tough to choose my favorite character, but I usu...