Friday, April 10, 2015

The Power of the Written Word

A favorite novel of mine has long been "The Sweet Hereafter" by Russell Banks. I have read it literally countless times since its publication in 1992, and over the years have purchased many copies which I've lent to friends and then they keep it, so I buy a new one. Banks makes sentences so achingly beautiful you are compelled to read them over and over just for the sheer thrill. His words are so rich in imagery and so gripping in detail, often pinpointing exactly how you have felt sometime in your own life that it's uncanny, but never unsettling.

I knew that a movie based on the book existed but I had never seen it and always wanted to. Then yesterday afternoon, after a conversation with a friend about the book, she suddenly realized that she owned the DVD and later loaned it to me. I was excited: Finally I would see this haunting story on film, and one that had gotten rave reviews and been nominated for and won several prestigious film awards. I put the cats out, made a fresh pot of coffee, dimmed the lights and settled in for a good time.

I knew from the first moment of the dark and somber opening credits that went on way too long, accompanied by depressing funeral-dirge music, that I already HATED THIS MOVIE and likely would continue to do so. I had to pause it at least four times to keep from throwing rotten tomatoes at the screen -- there were some languishing in the kitchen -- but I hung in there and watched it all the way through in case things improved. They didn't.

It's funny and interesting and also sort of shocking that a wonderful book with an unforgettable story can be adapted by a talented filmmaker and end up as something wholly other, and not wonderful at all. Actually, when you stop and think about it, it's quite an accomplishment. The written words were unsentimental and authentic, but the visuals came off as sappy and unbelievable.

Anyway, at least I got to cross that off my bucket list. Today I will read the book again just to get that other mess out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...