Monday, March 30, 2015

Mother's Little Helper

I am currently 68 years old. Surely if I left it alone, my hair would be gray by now. But I don't leave it alone, I color it. This is a very un-Zen practice, since to be enlightened I must forget about "me" and just Be One With The Universe. Although that does sound nice, and honestly I am dying for some inner peace and to that end have started engaging in daily meditation, I make this exception for several reasons.

It has little to do with looking younger, since I look older every day despite my hair color. That's because I am older every day, just like everyone else, although admittedly "gray-haired old lady" sounds worse than "red-haired old lady" or "old blonde." Mainly I do it because it's fun: New hair is just about the only thing I can do for little money and with immediate results to keep me interested in that face in the mirror.

Lately I have toyed with the possibility of going natural, since the one color I have not yet had is gray. But I'm just not ready.

So it's now time to choose a new color since my current shade is faded and drab. If I were younger I might go with green or magenta or blue, or maybe even hodgepodge (see photo). But I am after all 68 and so will once again choose something "hair-colored." Mick Jagger said it best: What a drag it is getting old.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...