Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Me and My Mind


I'm currently reading a book about meditation, the best I've come across to date, and have so far learned that "I" am not my thoughts. My thoughts are just vibrations. They are nothing. They are like a waterfall in my head. This is actually quite a relief, because lately my thoughts have been terrifying and often keep me up at night. Naturally I am happy to hear they don't matter a whit and that there is a "me" totally independent of "them."

Meditation has always intrigued me. I envy people who do it easily and claim it helps them relax, since relaxing has been at the top of my To-Do list for the last 30 years. These days, just about the only thing that helps me relax comes in the form of a little white pill. That's fine, I suppose, until they take it off the market or find out it causes cancer in lab rats, so I'm all for finding an alternative natural solution.

The book is called "Turning the Mind Into an Ally," and who doesn't want that? Written by Sakyong Mipham, it promises to make my experience here a whole lot better. I'm only on page 66 but I already can tell that my mind is not an ally yet and I'd better get started, especially since, according to the book jacket, "the journey never ends."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...