Sunday, December 7, 2014

Smoking Messes Up Everything

Every day I walk out to the end of my driveway to get the newspaper. I'm not sure why I do this since I already know all the news. Still, there are essays and photos and puzzles and other fun stuff to be had , and it makes me feel connected to the broader world. Usually the act of getting the paper takes under one minute to make the approximately 160-foot round trip. Not today.

Today was a challenge since the driveway was covered in two inches of ice. The hard crust could be cracked with a combination of deep commitment and a strong downward thrust of a heavy boot, making each step take quite a bit of time as the boot then had to be extricated from its deep imprint, and the next step carefully located so as to not wander off course.

Perhaps a less timid soul, or one who had not cracked two ribs last February by slipping on the ice and thus spending a month as a virtual invalid, might have just run out there cavalierly. But not me. I studied the situation from all angles. I considered driving down there to grab it from the safety of my car, which is what I did yesterday, but my husband was still asleep and I was afraid the noise of the garage door opening would wake him. (It was after all not yet six in the morning and he does need his rest.)

I finally arrived at a method involving a metal snow shovel as a tool to aid in my trek down the path, and eventually achieved my goal. Getting back was easier as it was uphill. While the whole thing did not make me appreciate the paper any more than usual, it did make me aware of how much I take for granted in life because of my reasonably good health.

Moral of the story: Anyone who smokes cigarettes should stop immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...