Friday, June 6, 2014

Cancer and Popcorn Don't Mix

Tearjerkers are more jerky than teary if you ask me. I go to the movies to learn something new or forget my troubles, and in either case I hope the experience will improve my mood, not dampen my spirits. Of course there are exceptions, like Bette Davis in the 1939 melodrama, "Dark Victory." (She's dying the whole time, but it's pretty funny how it finally happens.) Movies have come a long way since then, but death never goes out of style.

Here's Bette--gardening just moments before her death!

The hot movie of the moment, "The Fault in Our Stars," is showing at my favorite theater, the one that's always empty and has those comfy rocking chairs with built-in cup holders. Although I try to see what people are buzzing about just to stay current, I won't see this one; it's about two teens dying of cancer, and how entertaining is that? I know--there are lessons to be learned: Cancer patients gain the insight to appreciate life in a deeper way! We're awed by their strength! We can learn from their brave struggle! We must live every moment to the fullest!

The grim truth is that while they all have my deepest sympathy, cancer patients are not admirable. I'm cheering for them every second, and when granted permission I do everything I can to ease their burden. Still, watching a friend or family member deal with it sucks, so I'll be damned if I'm going to pay one dime to cry for fake cancer patients who are actually perfectly healthy and surrounded by cameramen, wardrobe people and a catering crew, chomping on popcorn while they're having make-believe chemo.

I did read a few reviews and it seems the two young leads in this particular film are quite good and very attractive. Spoiler alert: She lives but not everyone else does. (Boo-hoo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...