Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Show Me How

It seems the only way to have people like you is to be agreeable. With them. On everything. Which means you might say one thing one day to one person and the complete opposite thing on another day to another person, and as long as they don't compare notes, everything is fine.

Another way of saying this is just do what people want you to do all the time. Never say no, or I don't want to. If they offer you a steak dinner and you are a vegetarian, just eat the fucking steak anyway or else the cook will not like you. Ditto a cheesecake if you're on a no-sugar diet. Ditto reading the latest bestseller, seeing the current hit movie, watching the latest must-see TV series: Just say you love it or risk being shunned.

So it's a choice and a quandary we all face every day: Either like yourself or have others like you. Personally I think it's a no-brainer, since when you go to bed at night and close your eyes and try to fall asleep, guess what: You are the only one inside your head.

And by the way: I do not personally know one other person who writes a blog, so if you are one of my readers and you don't like what I have to say or find it dumb and boring or silly and unimportant, please go and write one of your own and do a better job, and be sure to give me the address as I am always striving for self-improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...