Monday, May 5, 2014

Don't Be a Cookie Monster

Cookies are nice, but they make you fat and sluggish; here's an alternative. I wish I could say I created this recipe but I didn't. I found it in one of those foodie newsletters at the local market. It's fun to make and to eat, and really good for you too:

ZING BARS
1 C. raisins, currants, dried cherries, dried cranberries, prunes, or combination
1 C. peanuts or nut combination, raw or roasted 
    (Try sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews)
1 TBSP. fresh ginger, grated or crystallized 
2 TBSP. hemp or sesame seeds

2 TBSP. honey (or maple syrup or molasses; I think molasses works best) 

1. Grind dry ingredients in a food processor until chunky, but not too fine. Add honey (or molasses or syrup) and pulse until blended. 
2. Using a rubber spatula, shape into a square between sheets of wax paper, to ¾” thickness. 
3. Refrigerate at least one hour, although the longer the better.

4. Cut into squares and wrap individually.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious and nutritious Zing Bars..thanks for sharing.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...