Thursday, April 24, 2014

Keeping America Safe

Yesterday, driving through our sleepy little town, I was stopped by a policeman. I saw him do a U-turn in my rear view mirror so I knew he was coming, but he sure took his time about it, following me for about half a mile. (I guess he got a kick out of seeing me slow down to 25mph exactly, otherwise why not stop me right away?) On came the flashing blue light and the siren, which was overkill since it was about two in the afternoon on a country lane with nobody else around. The siren--really?

He had clocked me doing 40 in a 25mph zone. Okay, fine, give me a ticket, I can afford it, I just hate the  lecture. After studying my papers back in his cop car and finding out I was not an escaped convict or one of the FBI's Most Wanted he returned, stuck practically his whole head inside my car and, almost nose to nose, asked, "Do you know, Andrea, what would happen if everyone speeded?"

Annoyed that he had called me by my first name, which I found impertinent seeing as how he was about 30 years my junior, I said, "Even though it's correct, I believe sped sounds better." He appeared confused, then let me off with a warning. I'm not sure which one of us learned something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...