Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Plowman Cometh (Again)

It's snowing here, as usual. It is winter after all, and in Maine, in winter, it snows. Whenever it snows, it's difficult to get the cars out. Still, it can be done--unless you wait too long, like you get dressed or have breakfast, and the town plow comes by and clears the main road in front of your house by pushing the snow into a big hill at the foot of your driveway. Then you're stuck.

It's ironic, since the only reason the town plow comes along is to make the roads passable for the people who live on them, which they then can't use because of the giant moguls at the end of their driveways. It's one of those Catch-22 situations. We all see them all the time, and we all say they are examples of Catch-22, which was the title of a novel by Joseph Heller, but here is something that almost no one knows about me: Unlike just about everyone else on the planet, from all walks of life (see photo), I never read that book. I started it many times, but then it never grabbed me, especially being about war which I avoid at all costs, so I stopped. Still, I get the concept.

That's just one teeny loophole in my education. There are many others, yet I still think I'm pretty smart. Things like not knowing the exact location of Darfur or North Dakota on a map might seem important to some, but I consider those recreational activities rather than examples of native intelligence. But the fact that the plow guy clears the road for people to drive on while making it impossible for them to get on it: that's dumb.

2 comments:

  1. So did the phrase, Catch 22, come from the movie? I would think it came before. Could you find out where it originated? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...