Thursday, September 5, 2013

What's Wrong With Me?

I went to L. L. Bean today to buy a pair of jeans. The very same L. L. Bean that did not hire me to be a sales clerk, to sell jeans and boots and socks and sweaters to people just like me who come to buy. (Yes, I am still bitter.)

Upon entering the store, the first clerk I encountered was fatter than any person I have seen outside of a TV show. She must have weighed 350 pounds, and was severely unkempt and if I may say, quite unattractive. She was hired: I was not. Then when I checked out, the girl at the cash register had one arm--not that there's anything wrong with that. She was actually quite a pretty girl, about 25, but still she definitely had just the one arm; the other one ended in a stump at the elbow and was not useful to either of us. She had to take my credit card, ring up the sale and bag the merchandise. Naturally this took her somewhat longer than a person with two arms, like me to pick someone at random. Again, I was not hired and she was.

So now I am of course once again wondering what it was that kept me from being hired as a simple sales clerk, in possession of all limbs and quite presentable, and having been hired as Art Director at several newspapers, one in California, and a designer at numerous small studios and large corporations back in Washington, D.C. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...