Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What's in Your Wallet?

Even sans wig and makeup, Oprah carries the black card.
"I'm in a store and the person doesn't obviously know that I carry the black card and so they make an assessment based upon the way I look and who I am." That's what Oprah Winfrey said about the recent to-do concerning a boutique in Switzerland where the sales clerk tried to steer her away from a $38,000 handbag she had asked to see. Well call me stupid, but I had absolutely no idea that racism had gotten so bad in this country that black people have to carry a card identifying them as such. It's silly, really, since you can usually tell right off they are black just by looking at them, but I guess it's for people who are light-skinned or of mixed race. Anyway, no wonder Oprah is upset, since she is black and the sales clerk should have been able to see that, even without seeing her card. In fact, it's a miracle that she didn't complain about that instead of the stupid handbag.  

Oh well, "black card" or not, she earned $77 million last year, and that's pretty darned good for someone with no recognizable talent, no matter what's in their wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...