Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Caste System

There is a particular woman I run into regularly on my walks around our miniature town. We first met several months ago, brought together by her overly-friendly dog Toby. After I gave him a treat he was my best friend, and his owner and I had a lengthy conversation regarding him and dogs in general, eventually sliding into a sidebar about her painful medical condition called frozen shoulder. She said she had trouble walking Toby because of the shoulder. I offered my services, no charge of course, being dogless and yet still out walking every day, and passing right near her house. She was receptive to that, and we blabbed for another 40 minutes, shivering out in the cold February air. She was nice enough for a Mainer, and we seemed to like each other. Numbers were exchanged. Then emails were exchanged, and ultimately we made a date for another walk with Toby.

Our second "date" was fun, I guess, if you like having someone talk at you for 50 minutes and never ask you one thing about yourself. We also went to her house, which turned out to be a Martha Stewart-ish mansion on a hill with wraparound porches overlooking the water that was about a zillion times better in every way than my humble abode. It was clear by the two Jaguars parked in her driveway and her son's private schools and her husband's business acumen and their boat docked in the harbor and blah, blah, blah that we live in two different worlds.

Today when I met her on my walk, we both smiled and slowed down enough to say hi and nice day. No stopping this time, and even though Toby's tail was wagging furiously, hers was not. I'm guessing that by now she's driven by my house and knows it could never work between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...