Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Real Horror Show

When I was five I was called to the principal's office for a minor infraction. The night before the meeting, I quivered in fear. My mother told me to remember that nobody was any better than anyone, and that the principal was just another person, and that I should think of him sitting on the toilet, just like everyone else. I did. It worked! I've been doing that ever since, and have yet to meet anyone intimidating. Try it. Imagine the Pope, with his silken, embroidered robes, sitting on the toilet. Does he remove that pointy hat? Do his robes get all dirty from dragging on the floor? You see what happens.

Somehow, magically, ordinary people gain superstar status and are considered to be better than the rest of us. Many of them have bodyguards to protect them from the adoring masses. I am still stymied over the success of singer Justin Bieber, comedienne Joy Behar and late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien, three celebrities who seem to lack anything special besides a good publicist. But the biggest mystery to me is that according to a new poll out yesterday, "six percent of likely New York Democratic voters think Anthony Weiner has really strong moral character." Now that's scary.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...