Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Jury of Whose Peers?

I have no intention of committing any crimes in my life, but if I ever find myself at the mercy of a jury, I would hope it includes an even dozen deciding my fate. A mix of genders and ages, a Jew or two, and an artist would be a nice touch. You know--my peers. Unlike the recent verdict in the Trayvon Martin/ George Zimmerman case that was apparently reached by Six Complacent Ladies, five of them white and the other something more exotic but not all the way to black.

Okay, fine, so maybe George didn't set out to kill anyone, but still there was the young dead boy at the end of it all, so it seems like the jury could have sent him to jail for a couple of weeks at least, instead of letting him off the hook totally. (I'm betting none of them ever saw "Twelve Angry Men.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...