Sunday, June 23, 2013

Odd Things of Little Import

Maybe I was abused by a hummingbird as a child, I don't recall, but there's one outside my window right now and it's freaking me out. I know they are considered to be one of life's little treasures, and you often see them depicted on greeting cards, especially condolence cards that say, "She's in a better place now." There's the little hummingbird in the clouds, with maybe some silver glitter. While technically they are birds, to me they look like monstrous flying insects. They can fly backwards, and are often just hours away from death by starvation since they use up more energy just flapping their wings than they can hold in their tiny tummies.

Speaking of tummies, yesterday morning my husband ran in a local road race. He pushed himself hard and set a new personal record, winning in his age group, which is 50-59. For that achievement he was rewarded, like everyone else who won in their age groups, with a pie; he chose Apple Blueberry. Later on Mitch ate some of the pie--quite a bit of it, actually--since, as he said, "I won it." Although I didn't run in the race, suddenly I was eating pie too. And it's all because Mitch started out the day so physically fit that we both finished off the day less so.

The 2013 Saab, in red!
Last week I brought my car in to be inspected at the local VIP Auto shop. This is a place that specializes in cars. I gave the service guy the details, and when I said it was a 2011 Saab, he said that was impossible since Saab went out of business and they stopped making them, so it must be a 2010. I said I know what year my car is, if little else. He said I was wrong. Later on I checked and learned that you can buy a 2012 Saab and even a 2013 Saab, and they are not out of business yet, they just declared Chapter 11. And that guy was the head service guy.


1 comment:

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...