Sunday, June 30, 2013

Living for Today

My son is very focused on the future. And by future, I'm not talking next month or next year, I mean after the coming apocalypse. He admits this event may be many generations away, yet he is busy planning for it now. (Only the strong will survive, we need to kill or grow our own food, etc.) I am in awe, since it's a stretch for me to calculate how much cat food I'll need for the week if we go out of town.

The fact is, I pretty much live day by day. This is stupid, I've been told, but somehow I can't shake the suspicion that if you have a happy day today, and follow it with another one tomorrow, and so on, when you add them all up you get a happy life. Is that wrong? Also, one never knows just how long one will be here, so I like to pay attention. This makes it hard to buy airline tickets for Christmas, I agree. That's annoying for my husband, who plans in light years.

This way of seeing things is actually a pain in the neck, since it causes me to be out of sync with the other members of my immediate family on many related issues. Fortunately I cook well, which compensates.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you: ONE DAY AT A TIME.

    unless you need to buy the airlines' tickets.

    ReplyDelete

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...