Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spongy Brain Syndrome

Scene outside the window in my mind.
Either I have seen too many movies for my own good, or my brain is too spongy. Whatever the cause, I now am stuck with certain scenes in my head that I'd do a lot better without. Like right now, I am relaxing in a seventh floor hotel room overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. It's a lovely view, to say the least. But as I look out at the breaking waves and the beautiful golf course visible below, I am reminded of the tsunami scene in The Impossible where everything goes all to hell in a matter of seconds, and I keep expecting that to happen, even though there has not been an earthquake anywhere today to the best of my knowledge. But that's exactly what happened in the movie--nobody knew there had been a earthquake thousands of miles away, and then BOOM. (Those golfers don't stand a chance.) What's really dumb is that tsunamis don't really get higher than the third floor....

Similarly, every time I back my car out of my driveway I think of the scene in Adaptation where Chris Cooper backs out and crashes into a truck that's barreling along and loses his front teeth and also kills his wife and aunt and uncle. Cooper got an Oscar for his performance, and I get to see it again and again every time I back out of a driveway. I wonder if he does too.

Those were a couple of memorable scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...