Monday, December 10, 2012

What's a Boomer to Do?

The Coachella Music & Arts Festival looks nice; am I too old?
I am so textbook it's not funny. Like a good Baby Boomer, I have done everything according to plan: High school, college, Woodstock, marriage, career, divorce, remarriage, motherhood, arthritis. Now, according to an article in today's paper, the next thing is "downsizing" through retirement to an inexpensive foreign country like Costa Rica, which is apparently the new Collins Avenue, or starting all over again at some new vocation. That's what people my age do, and who am I to buck the trend? So now I am wondering how I should spend my remaining, a.k.a. Golden Years, since just getting older right where I am is not a very boomer thing to do. A few thoughts:

     1. If Freddie Mercury were still alive I could become a groupie and follow Queen around from concert to concert. That would even make the news, I bet, or at least that news-wannabe, the Huffington Post. Alas, Freddie died in 1991, even though I just discovered him like a week ago because I was too busy getting married and divorced and married again and having a baby and working. (See opening paragraph.)
     2. If my husband were not so much younger and also felt like retiring, we could sell all our worldly possessions and get an RV and see the USA. Or we might relocate to some sunny Mediterranean isle and live on the beach, if I were not so prone to getting skin cancer.
     3. I could completely deny my true personality and devote myself to God and start doing His work by adopting babies from the Ukraine or wherever there are babies needing adopting, which I would definitely do if I were younger because at 66 it is cruel to adopt a baby, or even get a puppy for that matter.

Maybe I could just go to the 2013 Coachella festival in California --that looks fun, but I might be too old. For now, I guess I'll just rebel in place and stay here.

2 comments:

  1. I am battling this same question.....#2 looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dunno sweety . . . its getting ALMOST time to retire! Sorry I am not older yet!

    ReplyDelete

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...