Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sitting Ducks

I often share that I am 66 years old because A, I don't look it and B, everyone can find out my age anyway so why lie, and C, it adds heft to what I say since I've been around so long, at least with everyone but my son but that's another story. And what I'm saying now is that never in my long life have I ever held a gun, needed a gun or wished I had a gun. (Okay, so maybe that last one is a stretch, but luckily I didn't have one when I wished I had and thus several people have been allowed to live out their natural lives, and the worst one died anyway, so that's that.) Anyway, in light of our country's recent shooting spree that violently ended 26 lives, nobody who can still think straight could possibly believe guns should be freely available, most certainly not the automatics that can take out a crowd in two minutes. Plain and simple, many types of personal weapons, if not all of them, should be outlawed.

Without guns, people could settle their differences the old-fashioned way: with fists. Or rocks, or feet or gigantic tree limbs or, God forbid, reason, diplomacy and right. Okay, so I'm naive--sue me. Or punch me, kick me, pummel me and stomp on me--just don't shoot me. To all you hunters out there, get over it! Eating meat is bad for you anyway, and how dare you shoot helpless animals for sport? As for that tired old argument, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people," that's a load of hogwash. The truth is that people with guns kill people, and people with a lot of guns kill a lot of people.

It's time for Americans to get their ducks in a row, and stop shooting them. As for war, don't get me started.

1 comment:

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...