Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Powerball Fever

Going along with the old adage (I know, adage implies that it's old, but when you just say adage without the old in front of it, it sounds wrong), "You gotta play to win," I bought a Powerball ticket today. I guess you might say I have a touch of Powerball Fever which I hear is sweeping the nation right now. Besides that, my decision was fueled by reading that no jackpot has ever been won in the state of Maine, and since I've never before purchased a lottery ticket in Maine, I thought that might be why. The winner gets more money than I can even understand, something like half a billion before taxes. I'm pretty sure I will give most of it away, and in fact I've already decided who gets how much.

The last time I had Powerball Fever I really, truly thought I would win. When I didn't, I was shocked and more than a little pissed. Since the odds of winning this one are 1 in 176 million, it's sort of nutty to think it might be me, but still--someone's gotta win. And the truth is I bought two tickets, so I have twice as much of a chance, and there's that whole "never before in Maine thing," so all in all I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Then again, maybe's it's just the fever talking.




2 comments:

  1. where can I buy one and how much is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't get one where you live, but the LA Times reports that the $550 million prize is prompting long lines in border towns in Idaho, where people from Utah often travel to buy their tickets. They cost $2.00 each. (If I win I will give you 5 million dollars, so no worries.)

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...