Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lies, All Lies!

This morning, my visiting son was making himself a cheese omelet. He took out the as yet unopened Cracker Barrel Vermont Sharp-White Cheddar I had purchased specifically for him, because I knew he favored that type of cheese. After a moment of close inspection of said bar of cheese, he remarked that I should not have bought it because it's made by Kraft, and that's a huge corporation, thus Evil Incarnate. Naturally, he being 25 and me being his mother, I balked. "It's Vermont cheddar, what could be bad?" Zack doubled-down, which is quite popular these days and has always been in vogue in parent-child discussions anyway, and said it was likely not even from Vermont; his close inspection had revealed that it was distributed by a company in Illinois. Undaunted, I pointed out, "It says right here, An East Coast Cheddar With a Complex Full Flavor."
   
"Just saying," he replied.
   
So I called the 800 number on the package, and somebody named Jose answered. He was quite nice, and listened as I asked my question about where the cheese was actually made, but then he put me on hold for a really long time-- so long I almost had to hang up because I simply do not do hold. But still I was motivated, so I endured the weird music and heard about the "general recall" of their Spicy Jalapeno String Cheese, for God knows what reason, but if you have any, don't eat it. Finally Jose came back and said that after a thorough search of their entire system, he had learned that the cheese was cheddar but it wasn't from Vermont. I asked, "Even though it's called Vermont Sharp-White Cheddar?" Jose answered somewhat wistfully, "It's like a Vermont cheddar."

Just saying.


2 comments:

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...