Monday, November 12, 2012

Lemmings Jump Off Fiscal Cliff

Somtime in 2012, Ben Bernanke, Chairman of the Federal Reserve--and believe me I have no idea what that is--used the term "fiscal cliff" in discussing a situation that could arise as a result of colliding taxes, spending cuts, and what have you. Naturally, since then every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Henrietta has used the term, like they just thought of it and it's the only way to describe that particular set of circumstances. Everywhere you look, it's "fiscal cliff" this and "fiscal cliff" that, despite the fact that, according to Wikipedia, "some analysts have argued that 'fiscal slope' or 'fiscal hill' would be more appropriate terminology, because while the cumulative economic effect over all of 2013 would be substantial, it would not be felt immediately but rather gradually as the weeks and months went by."

Personally, I think "fiscal acclivity" has a nice ring to it. Or maybe "fiscal hummock" for the more rural among us, or "fiscal dune" for all the beach-goers. Come on people, work with me...

4 comments:

  1. I think this may be fiscalciff gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, But it's spelled Fiscalcliffgate, all one word.

      Delete
  2. uh.....fiscal rollercoaster? fiscal teeter-totter? I know, fiscal FLOP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Roller coaster" and :teeter-totter" sound too much like fun. Perhaps "flop" is the most accurate description of our government....

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...