Monday, November 19, 2012

Bye, Bye Twinkie

Each time I log onto my computer, I am bombarded with news stories concerning the widespread unhappiness over the bankruptcy of the Hostess company, purveyor of Twinkies. They also make Wonder Bread, and for that they should only drop dead, as my grandmother would say. Puh-leeeeeze--considering all we know these days about nutrition, and how fat we are as a nation, what with the heart attacks and diabetes and the cholesterol, etc., how is it even legal for them to still be operating at all?

I want to publicly state that to the best of my knowledge I have never, ever had a Twinkie, not even when stoned although perhaps when tripping and I forgot. (I'm a child of the 60s--get over it.)  But in my family, my aforementioned grandmother made such to-die-for rugelach, who needed that ersatz crap? She assured me that only goys ate them, and I believed her, but my husband recently admitted that he and his brothers were raised on Twinkies, and they are all extremely Jewish.

Now, a Twinkie is not a Drake's Cake or anywhere near a Devil Dog, and I embraced both of those heartily in my youth. But still, as tasty as I know those are, I walk right by them in the supermarket without slowing down. I mean, really, I have more self-respect than that at this stage of my life. So I say, Twinkies be gone; it's time to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...