Wednesday, October 3, 2012

There's Never a Cop When You Need One

We are speeding along on the Massachusetts Turnpike, which naturally is chock full of those so-called "massholes," a term coined specifically for people from Massachusetts when they are behind the wheel of a car. Right now I am not driving, obviously, but I was a few minutes ago and I had one of them behind me. There was a truck on my right, I was in the left lane of a two-lane highway going 79 mph on a road marked with a speed limit of 65. I think that's fast enough, don't you? After all, this is not Italy. Yet the driver of the Jeep behind me felt 79 was too slow. He had to get right up on my bumper and make my life a living hell because he wanted to be ahead of me, like somehow that would help him. Of course I could not go anywhere until I cleared the truck to my right. Anyway, I finally was able to move over and the Jeep sped by and got up on the bumper of the next guy ahead of him.

People who tailgate should be dealt with severely. I believe that flipping them the finger is inadequate punishment. I did that as he passed by, but it seemed to have no effect on his behavior. Tailgaters are among the worst of society's ills. Texters are bad too, and in fact I am sitting next to one of those right now, although he denies it whenever I suspect he's doing it and says he is merely adjusting the volume on his iPhone. I say if you take your eyes off the road when you are driving really fast on a foggy, rainy superhighway, it doesn't matter what you call it--it's just plain dumb.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this one. I would love a law that says you can only use a cell phone in PRIVATE!!!! even in a tent on a mountain it is really rude to sit next to a live human while texting another one far away.....and in cars, never.
    and tailgaters, that's when I wish I were driving the batmobile so I could spray some kind of poison onto them.

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...