Tuesday, October 23, 2012

No More Mr. Nice Guy

I have never thought anyone an idiot because of his or her political leanings. Not once. Yet I have seen many people come to blows, end friendships, and worse, over that very thing. Why an ordinary citizen cares so deeply about the fortunes of the rich and famous who wish to become richer and more famous is beyond me. Conventional Wisdom alleges that your political choices profoundly reflect who you are, what your values are, blah, blah, blah. I don't see it that way. For me, I either like someone or I don't. If I don't, then no amount of jabbering will get me to feel otherwise.

Last night we all watched the final--thank God!-- debate between the two egomaniacs who hope to rule the free world for the next four years. That common goal is the only thing that unites them; otherwise, they are as different as black and white. (Ha ha!)

What I saw was one guy who was snarky (thanks for that word, Mel!), arrogant, snide, obnoxious, and out for blood from the get-go. His opponent was kinder and gentler, a more reasoned sort, certainly more to my liking but alas, seemingly less up-to-speed on the facts. That makes sense of course, since Snarky has been at the very job in question for four years already, so he damn well better know more about what's going on than Mr. Nice Guy--in fact, a lot more. But seeing as how the average American is a bully at heart, last night's "winner" as proclaimed by the gaggle of vultures gathered in so-called "spin rooms" to feed on the remnants of the two combatants was Snarky. This leads me to think that since the election is only two weeks away and the last memory voters will have is of a smiling Mr. Nice Guy who seemed shorter on the facts despite being longer on the skills, intelligence, wit, demeanor, and diplomacy we can only dream about seeing in our president, that horrid Snarky will win. This is, after all, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...