Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Everyone's Favorite Lie

A few weeks back I sent an email to the Head Recruiter at a certain organization offering any of several services; basically, I was looking for a job. A friend who works there helped me out in two ways: She gave me the woman's email address and also put in a good word for me with her. Yesterday I received an email from the lady in question that said in fact there is a job that I might very well fill, and would I be interested in it, giving a few details. I emailed back that yes I would and when can we talk. Her final email said she would call me first thing this morning when she got to work. I gave her my cell phone number so I wouldn't miss the call for any reason, like going out to get the paper at the end of the driveway, or whatever.

I carried my cell phone with me all morning. I left it right outside the shower door. I had it on the passenger seat as I drove to an appointment, one I had told her about so she wouldn't call at that time. No call came. Back home after my appointment, I wrote her an email saying I was hoping to hear from her and was she still interested. Still, at three in the afternoon, nothing. I called the phone number on her email, but it turned out to be one of those company recordings where you have to spell out the person's name on your keypad to get their extension and I just don't do that sort of thing. (I think it's retarded, if I can say that without offending anyone.)

This person's title is Head of Recruitment at this quite sizable and very well-respected company. I was seeking recruitment. She began the recruitment process, but stopped. If she is not busy recruiting, then what the heck is she doing? As I usually feel in these situations, I certainly hope the poor woman is not in the hospital or, God forbid a million times, lying dead in a ditch somewhere, but if that's what happened I'd feel a whole lot better about things.


1 comment:

  1. I heard from the lady finally and she had laryngitis so could not talk for a few days...or so she said. Anyway, going for an interview!

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...