Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Special K Challenge: Hope and Change

The first day of a new month always feels good to dieters. Just like every Monday morning and New Year's Day, it holds the promise of those elusive twins we all constantly seek, hope and change. Laden with untapped will power, even though it is really just the day after yesterday, a new month is magical if only for a short period of time--sometimes just until later that same day. However, if we keep our minds insanely focused on that one thing only, it can last longer. After all, just look at Jennifer Hudson, the formerly fat singer who became a spokesperson for Weight Watchers and is now in our faces 24/7, showing off her new svelte body ad nauseum. (Enough already, Jennifer, we get it, you lost weight, you look fantastic, good for you--now shut up and sing.)

Anyway, this time, it being the first day of September, I am determined to harness the inherent power of this brand new, unused month. I have often joked that I have been trying to lose three pounds for the last five years, or maybe it's five pounds for the last three years. Whatever, it's ridiculous--after all, who's in charge here? So today, on this first day of September, I am taking the Special K Challenge and declaring war on those three or five pounds, and then some. By the time I cast my vote this November they will be gone, and by Inauguration Day next January, I'm hoping even more will be gone, including Barack and Michelle. (I can dream, can't I?)

2 comments:

  1. NOT if your dream includes the Romneys.....that would be a nightmare for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deneb, I have been having the recurring Obama nightmare for almost four years....you owe me!

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...