Thursday, August 16, 2012

Who Says It's All Good?

There are many expressions that enter the lexicon that mean absolutely nothing but become very popular anyway. Sadly, even though I am sequestered in my art studio most of the time and thus remain safe from contamination, these phrases enter my household through my husband's mouth. Lately, no matter what the situation, Mitch will end a discussion with those three little words, "It's all good." He says this even when it's not all good, and even when the it part is unclear, leaving me to ask, "What's all good?" Often he has no specifics, and will simply reiterate the offending statement. Since "It's all good" has replaced "It is what it is," I suppose I should be happy that at least we have some new nonsense around here. But still, I worry that this widespread insistence that everything be good belies some inherent truths, i.e., war, death, famine, global warming, drought, floods, tornadoes, the resurgence of polio in the Third World and the alarming number of cases of West Nile virus in Dallas.

Not to be a stickler, but in some places and in some cases, it's all bad. Somehow I don't see that phrase catching on. (Smiley face!)

3 comments:

  1. The phrase is used in the context of the topic at hand. Not knowing when it is being used, I can't assist you. But "It's all good" is appropriate if you are a "half full" type person versus a "half empty" one. There is no war in my backyard, "It's all good", I am not suffering from famine, "It's all good". You do what you can in the world to make you and others less fortunate better. But if they are a "half empty" type of person, you never could do enough. But "It's all good" could still apply since you did what you could, you are not responsible for the actions of others.

    GL (insert Smiley face!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will start using "it's all bad". Once again, you are ahead of your time, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and what does fergalicious mean?

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...