Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Best Things in Life Are Free


I knew from the get-go that "J. Edgar" was not going to be all I had hoped the second I saw Leonardo DiCaprio, who stars as former FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover--and by the way, how long did it take for them to come up with that title? I love Leo, but for much of what I saw, which was maybe 30 minutes, he is made up as Marlon Brando playing Don Corleone. Anyway, that makeup artist has surely since either been fired or sent back to school, because the line on Leo's face where his old age starts is quite obvious. But really, that is the least of the movie's problems; mostly, the film is dark, dark, dark, so it's hard to see just what the heck is going on. There are a lot of other old men standing around, many with mustaches-- one a handlebar--and who knew that Hoover had such a strange accent? The actress Naomi Watts also has the old/young thing going on, making me think that most of the time and money involved was spent on makeup. Someone had the delicate task of making already-old Judi Dench, who plays Hoover's mother, somewhat older one minute and then somewhat younger the next, and I think they may have solved the problem with a Halloween mask. It was all very disconcerting, which is what Mitt Romney said about the London Olympics that got him into so much trouble. (Funny how one word can have so many different applications.)

Ultimately, I stopped watching for fear of turning to wood. This was long before I ever learned when/if/why J. Edgar Hoover was a cross-dresser, which was all I've ever heard about him and really all I want to know, but some things are just not worth waiting for. Soon after, I went to bed and had a dream that I was on vacation with my husband somewhere out West, possibly Yellowstone, and we were walking back to our hotel after dinner and a black bear started following us and came right into our room. We had no idea what to do! It almost attacked Mitch, who was trying to pet it--he is such an animal lover--but somehow we got it out into the hallway and called the front desk. Meanwhile I was leaning against the door trying to keep it closed with a chair held against it, screaming. I think the screams helped. All in all, my dream was so much more interesting than that movie, and it didn't cost a penny.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.....your dream, a twisted version of Goldilocks.
    Best line, "stopped watching for fear of turning to wood". That's how I felt watching the Beach Volleyball on the Olympics.....Thank you so much for putting that together for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I thought that scene where he puts on his mom's dress was not about cross dressing.....he may have been gay but he was just really missing his mom in that scene. Not to suggest that being a mommy's boy makes one gay. nor does it make one a cross dresser. I felt really sad for him.

    ReplyDelete

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...