Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Just Desserts?

I don't care one bit about Jerry Sandusky. I never heard of him before and I am tired of hearing about him now. I know he abused young boys in showers or something like that, at Penn State or someplace like that, a long time ago or maybe more recently. He is now old and maybe in jail or going to jail soon. This matters to me not one iota, and I am not sure why it matters to anyone other than Mrs. Sandusky, the Sandusky offspring, and of course his young victims. He was only an assistant football coach, after all! Yet it is in the news almost daily, with every new speck of dirt regarding his past indiscretions announced as if we need to know. (He did it on an airplane! He maybe even had nude photos of young boys!)  Okay, he sucks, I get it--enough already with Sandusky.

But some celebrities actually do matter. Those empowered to make or break laws impacting hundreds of thousands of people matter more than a guy who trains big lugs to fight over a little ball in the middle of a stadium, if you ask me. One of those powerful people is Chris Christie, an intelligent lawyer with a winning personality and sharply-honed political instincts who is the current Governor of New Jersey. It has just been announced that he will be the Keynote Speaker at the upcoming Republican National Convention and is thus out and about on the Romney campaign trail in addition to holding his own important office back home. He is also married and raising four children! It sounds to me--speaking as someone with no political office or even a job flipping burgers, in fact with nowhere special to go and nothing important to do on most days, leaving me lots of time to eat--like Governor Christie has a really busy life. And he is not just tubby or chubby or heavy or overweight or big or hefty or plump, he is someone whose enormous girth assaults you, making it the first thing you notice and the last thing you remember about him. Just when does he find the time to eat so much to stay that fat? I asked my husband this question, and he said, "I guess he always has dessert."

I guess so.





1 comment:

  1. EW! He must eat while doing everything else he does. This blog entry was fun to read and the cover photo was so much better than the closing one.

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...