Saturday, August 11, 2012

Finally Footloose

Sometimes I wish I were young, with all my life ahead of me. Then I reflect on what it is to be young these days, and I am relieved that I have my memories, not to mention two feet that still work.

Consider the shoe at right: those boots were definitely not made for walking. But young women today wear such things. I see them hobbling around the streets of Portland, and believe me, that's tough since much of the city has brick and cobblestone sidewalks-- picturesque, yes, but difficult enough to maneuver even in flats on a rainy or snowy day. Yet modern young women are undaunted, often holding on to one another, or their dates, taking baby steps to their next fun destination. Ah, fashion!

What is it that makes people want to look like everyone else, wear what everyone else is wearing, talk like everyone else, and think like everyone else? I admit that I did too for a time. I can remember walking around London alone in a pair of high-heeled boots just to look good, and boy did my feet hurt when I got back to my room. I finally changed into a pair of sneakers and toured the city, figuring that since I didn't know a soul in all of Europe it wouldn't matter if I looked like a schlep. That was in 1976. Now that I'm a "senior" I can look schleppy all the time if I choose, since few people are looking at me anymore. That's just one of the perks of getting older. There are so many more, but I forget. (Not really, but I couldn't resist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...