Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Seeking Justice

The start of what will surely be an avalanche of lawsuits related to the Aurora theater shooting has begun. An attorney for one of the survivors says his client plans to sue the Century 16 theater for having an exit door that was not equipped with an alarm or guarded, allowing the shooter to return with his weapons. He will also sue Warner Bros. for releasing violent movies that may have inspired the shooter, and the suspect's doctors for failing to accurately monitor the suspect's mental condition. This makes me see that I too have a case.

Yesterday morning I fell while getting out of the shower, suffering what, at the time, I thought were minor bruises and humiliation. But today, after a sleepless night, it has become all too clear that my injuries are a lot worse, making for a classic Slip and Fall lawsuit. (See photo, Exhibit A) My left shoulder, which was twisted in a weird way as I tried to break my fall, is unbearably painful and seems almost immovable. Also, there is considerable discomfort in my left side along the rib cage and my right gluteus maximus, making sitting down difficult. Obviously, if I had a job I would have to miss work, which might even threaten my employment. And if I had continued with my swimming every morning, which I was just about to start back up, I would not be able to go because of my arm, so my quality of life is impacted. Thus I plan to sue the following people:
     1. The towel manufacturer, since I stepped from the tiled shower onto a towel and it moved, failing to properly grip the floor, and caused me to lose my balance.
     2. The floor manufacturer, as the very slippery nature of the floor was the root of the problem. (Since when is a bathroom floor supposed to be slippery?)
     3. My husband, who had just left the bathroom at the time but should have realized when he heard the water turn off I that I was about to exit the shower and might very easily fall, what with the non-gripping towel and the slippery floor, two things about which he had prior knowledge. He should have been there to break my fall.

Not sure I have a case but I'm damn well going to try. After all, this is America.


4 comments:

  1. i once bought a motorcycle helmet and included in the box was a little letter that explained that the reason the helmet was so expensive was that half the money went to defending the manufacturer (Bell) from lawsuits . . . they then listed many of the lawsuits they have had to defend themselves against . . . including several from folks injured who were NOT WEARING the helmets, but somehow it was Bell's fault because the helmets were not attractive enough or comfortable enough for the user to put them on . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hysterical--thanks for telling us about it! However, I am still going ahead with my suit against you...

      Delete
  2. Your "once" must have been quite a long time ago, Mitch. I cannot believe that Andrea would let you get on a motorcycle! OMG!

    And about your shower mishap, I am very sorry that you hurt yourself and I hope you are OK now. But come on, you shouldn't sue. "You cannot legislate stupidity." I learned that from our Governor when a group of people tried to get him to outlaw the fireworks in our High Fire Danger state. So I guess you can't sue somebody ELSE for being stupid yourself, can you? You are supposed to have a bath mat to step on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I married Mitch for his motorcycle, what are you talking about?

      Delete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...