Saturday, July 21, 2012

Out of the Loop

I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I just heard about edible balloons like ten minutes ago, and that was purely by chance. I turned on the TV news to see if any more office towers had been hit by planes overnight or any more crazed gunmen had splayed bullets into crowds of innocent bystanders, and happened upon a report about a hot young chef who uses science in the kitchen to create fabulous creations served in his trendy Chicago restaurant. He looked to be about 17 or 18, and is already way more successful than I ever have been or will be, and one of things he has done is bring us the edible balloon. Intrigued, I searched "edible balloons" online and learned that they were totally reported on and written about last February, which means I certainly cannot write one more word about them now.

Where have I been, and more to the point, what have I been eating? Just the usual protein and veggies and fruits and fiber, fuddy-duddy that I am. But food today is so much more than sustenance--it's art! The fact that I eat mostly to remain alive instead of to impress people with my sophisticated palate just goes to show you how much of a dinosaur I am. There are other things, of course, like knowing who Henny Youngman was-- and finding him pretty hysterical, at that--but this balloon business makes me wonder how many other things are out there that you can eat that I don't know about.

1 comment:

  1. very bad idea, making balloons edible.... because, when I was a kid, I was "nursing" on the nipple part of a balloon (pretty hard actually) and it popped, sucking the little nipple into my throat and causing me to choke. I could've dies. Obviously I was saved or you would not be reading this. Not a good idea to encourage kids to suck or eat on a real balloon. and as we know, there are a lot of DUMB kids out there that do bad things to real balloons, and how would even half-smart kids know the difference between an edible and a real balloon? dangerous!

    ReplyDelete

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...