Friday, July 6, 2012

The Other Mosquito Coast

I am far less productive in summer than during the rest of the year because I am so busy:
1. scratching mosquito bites.
2. showering to ease the itching of mosquito bites.
3. applying creams and lotions to  mosquito bites.
4. swatting mosquitoes.
5. crying.

People who seem to know about such things say that if all the insects died--a situation I have prayed for nightly since childhood--our entire ecosystem would collapse and all life would cease. I am now wondering if it would be okay if just the mosquitoes died. If anyone knows the answer, please tell me. Then tell me how we can kill all the mosquitoes.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN! but actually, there seem to be very few here in Utah and even less in Africa, where I was anyway. Maybe you should eat a LOT more garlic, that repels them. and I hear alcohol (the kind you drink) is also a deterrent. Garlic and alcohol give off some kind of pherome from your skin pores that mosquitos dislike. so I hear. I have the garlic and Arty has the alcohol so we don't itch.
    Some places fumigate and it hasn't made the ecosystem collapse. I am with you, let's get rid of mosquitos altogether. Other insects are OK. moths are annoying but they don't make you itch. I see no use for mosquitos. unless hate is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: mosquitoes can go! They come after me like I've cut my arm and offered an all you can eat buffet. One instance last summer for me resulted in 41 bites in 15 minutes; hubby only got 6. That's how it usually goes. :-(

    Word of warning: stay away from Charleston, SC. They call theirs "pterodactyl skeeters" and they're as big as your hand. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother always said that I got bitten so much because I was "sweet"....my husband now says this cannot possibly be the reason! Thanks for the warning about Charleston, one of my favorite places... I had no idea, never been there in summer.

      Delete

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...