Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just Say What You Mean

There was a time when I constantly felt pressured to have a nice day. Even strangers demanded it, like shopkeepers and supermarket baggers and checkout people, and every receptionist in every office. At first I found it annoying, and a tad presumptuous: who were they to tell me to have a nice day? They don't even know me! They have no idea what kind of shit is going down in my life, but still I have to have a nice day? Sez who? But I eventually accepted it as just an expression, understanding that they didn't really want me to have a nice day; they didn't care one way or another. But now, those very same people--all those strangers-- are suggesting that I "have a good one." The nice days are over, and now the sky's the limit! Now I should have a good one! A good what? A good one, leaving the door wide open for anything. That's fine, but what if I want two--or three? Why can't people just say "goodbye" when they're leaving? Why say, "See you later," when you know and they know that you will not be seeing them later? And what the heck is a "high-five" anyway? I think it means "Congratulations!" Just say that and be done with it.

2 comments:

  1. Right on. You say what you mean. The smiley face thing, with the "have a good day" crap gives me the creeps, like the American flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The American flag gives you the creeps? Why is that?

    ReplyDelete

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...