Saturday, June 2, 2012

You Do Your Thing, I'll Do Mine

Today someone left me a comment online suggesting that my writing a daily blog is like "a 13-year-old girl keeping a journal." He scoffed at my trivial pursuit, saying nobody cares what I have to say. This got me wondering why anyone does anything, and why certain activities are condoned by the flock while other pursuits are fodder for ridicule, fueling the rise of bullies in our copycat culture.

For example, it is seen as downright dorky to spend hours with one's face buried in a book, leading to harsh labels like "bookworm," "dweeb," "loser," "loner" and in some areas of the country, "freak." Yet it is perfectly acceptable, and even encouraged, to spend similarly long hours walking around with a bagful of long metal sticks and using them to hit a tiny ball into pre-drilled holes in the ground in certain areas of the countryside, and to pay for the privilege. My personal decision to sit for hours gluing tiny, colored beads onto glass surfaces is thought to be odd, but if I were to spend those same long hours still sitting on my very same butt, only it was in a chair inside a dark theater filled with hundreds of such chairs and placed in front of a screen onto which actors portraying people having real lives is projected, I would be seen as more normal. In fact, not only normal but patriotic, since movie-going is the leading form of entertainment in America today and a major source of revenue for our struggling economy. Why is this?

One possible and likely answer is that while I am gluing those beads onto those balls, much like when I am writing a blog, my hands are occupied and I cannot eat anything, but while watching the movie I can and do and in fact should and must eat popcorn, candy and soda, and lately nachos, chili dogs and pizza. Chewing and swallowing all sorts of garbage is highly prized in America; after all, we are not the second-fattest country for nothing. (Qatar has overtaken us as not only the richest but the most obese nation.)

Anyway, read my blog or don't. And FYI, I'm not alone; as of February 2011, there were over 156 million public blogs in existence.

2 comments:

  1. and of all those blogs, yours is the best of them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deneb for being a staunch supporter!

    ReplyDelete

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...