Monday, June 4, 2012

Please Don't HBD Me

There seems to be a contest running on Facebook having to do with how many people post a birthday greeting on your home page. A secondary sort of competition is how creative the poster can be saying it. Oddly enough, the latter competition has fewer entrants; for the most part, people seem pleased enough with themselves just to write "Happy Birthday," as if that is endearing enough to win them brownie points with the celebrant.

Well, I have not instructed Facebook to divulge my birthday, which is tomorrow. I am not sure what it means that I was born on a particular day a particular number of years ago, and why I should be congratulated for simply being impelled through the birth canal through no effort of my own, but that's what goes on. I have also stopped posting a public greeting, opting instead to either A, ignore it entirely in the case of a person who has too many "Happy Birthday!" comments already, fearing mine will be meaningless unless I can top the most clever ones, as recently happened with my friend Patsy, or B, call the person on the phone and say it for real, like I did yesterday with my friend Sue. My son says his generation prefers "HBD." Very minimalist, but not very festive.


3 comments:

  1. I will wish you a happy birthday tomorrow, when it really is your birthday. Plus will send you an email directly. That is what friends do. I don't HBD (never heard of it), not in a contest of being cleaver either (never heard of that). Just a simple acknowledgement that it is your birthday.....TOMORROW!

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you write this blog, otherwise I would have forgotten that it was your birthday tomorrow. I was going to say I would have forgotten you were born but that sounds mean and really stupid. I will never forget you were born. I will never forget you are alive! I meant to get you a gift while we were in Chicago.......another thing I forgot.
    If I could give you a gift today it would be a new tooth, magically.

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...