Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Anything But Awesome

I am declaring war on the word awesome. I shall smite it, trample it, and stamp it out at all costs. Of course, if this word were ever truly extinguished it would cut the average American's vocabulary by half. Another result would be an alarming drop in comments on Facebook.  So, what might people say instead? Perhaps alarming, astonishing, awe-inspiring, beautiful, breathtaking, daunting, exalted, or formidable. How about grand, glorious, impressive, imposing, magnificent, majestic, mind-blowing or moving? No? Okay, then try striking, stunning, stupefying, wonderful, wondrous, cool, groovy, fabulous, fantastic, far out. Anything but awesome.

Try it: Dare to be different.



5 comments:

  1. TOO AWESOME FOR WORDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am stunned by how many people responded to this post with the word "awesome."

    ReplyDelete
  3. am so glad you did not dis AMAZING. that is my favorite word for Africa. so far. and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. old post, and I like it. I am fond of the word fabulous these days. and itinerary. and spontaneous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous seems to me appropriate only for Hollywood parties. Itinerary is limited, although I guess you have a lot of them. Spontaneous is good, but when do you say it? (I guess only on the spur of the moment.)

    ReplyDelete

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...