Sunday, April 1, 2012

What's Black and White and Dead All Over

We didn't get our regular newspaper delivered today, for an unknown reason, and the interesting thing is, I didn't care. In days gone by, reading the Sunday New York Times was the reason to have Sundays at all. And of course doing the crossword puzzle in the Magazine section, an activity I began back in junior high and did faithfully until last weekend, was one of my major raisons d'etre. (I took four years of French, sue me.) But now, what with the Internet splashing the latest news all over the place every few minutes, I already know everything that's happened both here and abroad, and certainly more than what the paper says since it was printed last night. As for that crossword puzzle--I hate to say it, but playing Words With Friends online is much more stimulating to my brain, and after all that's what it's about, right? I mean I don't fill in all the blanks just to impress myself with how much I know.

Sad but true: Newspapers are almost gone. Oh well, more trees for everyone. Still, I would like to know where my paper is....

1 comment:

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...