Monday, April 9, 2012

This Message May Be Recorded

The other day I had a problem with my cell phone and called the AT & T technical support line. A nice man who identified himself as Sherman said he could help. After a few minutes, I said that his accent, which had a sort of Asian-Chinesey-Jamaican lilt to it, was intriguing and I wondered where he was from. Sherman laughed and said, "Oh, we are not permitted to tell you that. All I can say is that I am working offshore to help you solve your problem." When I asked what harm there could possibly be in my knowing what country he was from, he said, "All I can say is that I am working offshore to help you solve your problem."

This morning I received a phone call from a particular robot who calls here frequently. The woman's voice chided, for what seemed like the 800th time, "This is your second and final notice! There is nothing wrong with your account, but it is urgent that you contact us regarding your current interest rates......" I muttered the usual obscenities into the phone before hanging up, hoping that when the QC execs review the tapes "for training purposes" they might follow my suggestion about how to handle the telephone vis-a-vis their butts. Meanwhile, those thoughtful folks over at VISA know how much we all hate the robot. For holders of their premium Sapphire credit card, a real person answers the phone when you call with questions or concerns. Nice touch, if you ask me, bringing back memories of my childhood, when many people were actually human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...