Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Servicing the Secret Service

I guess when there's no news, the news makers make some. I just had my TV set on, volume high so I could hear, while I was in the shower. I have done this since the 2001 World Trade Center terrorist attacks which kind of caught us off guard--Mitch on his way to the airport to catch a flight to LA, me just back from dropping our eighth-grader off at school--so I like to stay connected at vulnerable times. I consider being naked and wet one of those times.

So I was drying myself off when I heard a Breaking News Alert about the scandal involving nine or eleven members of the president's Secret Service. They were caught carousing and cavorting! There was partying and misconduct! The possibility of prostitutes in a foreign country was implied. Apparently this is bad and could indicate a possible breach of security with people in the know playing fast and loose with government secrets. (Funny how when the actual president--fill in the blank with one of many names--engaged in similar activities with call girls or interns or movie stars or mistresses, nobody worried about that.)

When I was single and living in DC I dated a Secret Service guy in the Carter administration. Despite our repeated misconduct he never told me one secret thing about our government, the President or even himself. (He's dead now, so at least my secrets are safe.)

1 comment:

  1. I remember 9/11 although it took me a while to figure out why it was such a big deal to most people in the USA. I was young at the time and hiking the Appalachian Trail. Sometimes it seems so long ago, like a different time, other times it doesn't seem that long ago. What a strange world we live in.

    ReplyDelete

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...