Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The More Things Change.....

There is an awful lot of grumbling among the younger generations about the Internet sucking the life out of them and ruining their brains. Still louder grumbling focuses on how Facebook is depleting their inherited world of meaningful relationships. They do this grumbling on the Internet, most often on Facebook. I find this odd, not to mention duplicitous since, in fact, the younger generations are the ones responsible for all the new billionaires. Two more surfaced this morning on the front page of my newspaper, both in their twenties and now in possession of more money than God, because of an iPhone app called Instagram that offers a "fun way to share photos" and even "give them the look of an old Polaroid." (Hahahahaha, that just cracks me up!) 

Anyway, I wonder why, if these young people don't like the way things are going, they keep walking in the same direction. As somebody once said, and I wish I could remember who, "Don't start down any path that leads to a place you don't want to end up." Or something like that.

Although I frequent the Internet and both halves of my split personality have Facebook accounts, I desperately cling to life as it once was: My simple phone is for calling people. I use a camera to take photographs. I do not own headphones or earbuds or whatever they are called this minute and instead listen to music when I am sitting down, usually indoors unless I'm at Tanglewood, and doing nothing else. I eat oatmeal for breakfast. The simple life is still out there, you just have to push all those newfangled gadgets aside. A good pair of blinders helps.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they are insane. The definition that I use is "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".

    GL

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...