Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Moral Dilemma


I am so excited I am busting! I got this email today from Ban Ki-Moon, the Secretary-General of the United Nations. At first I was a bit skeptical, wondering why he would take the time out of his schedule to contact me directly, but you know those Chinese, or Koreans or whatever he is--they are nothing if not cordial. And he has such an honest face (see photo), and besides--why would he lie? Apparently I am about to become rich! Check out his letter to me—his English is sort of bad, but hey, nobody’s perfect:

“How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family. This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS has agreed to compensate them with the sum of $550,000 each and you have to indicate how much you lost in the hands of scammers. This includes if you have sent money with Western Union or Money Gram also every foreign contractors, inheritance, dating and lottery payment that have not received their payment, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international lottery payment that failed due to Government problems etc.

We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this have been agreed upon and have been signed to pay you the above amount.  You are advised to contact Mr. Billy Foster who is in charge of your payment through our paying center in Texas. Contact him immediately for more information on how to get your compensation of $550,000.00 payment from the United Nations. Therefore, you should send him your full name, telephone number and your correct home address, Contact Mr. Billy Foster immediately for your compensation payments. Contact billyfoster03@yahoo.com. Thanks and God bless you and your family. Hoping to hear from you as soon as you receive your compensation funds don’t neglect this I advice you. “

So the thing is, even though I have never lost any money to scammers, they have my name and I got this letter. Now I am wondering if it would be wrong for me to accept the money. I am also wondering if anyone, anywhere, ever believes this sort of thing for a second, and if they do, will they be voting in the upcoming presidential election.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...