Monday, March 26, 2012

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

First thing this morning, my husband reportedly was "bummed out" by reading the following statement at the top of his Facebook news stream, posted by a cousin of his: "Fuck you, Monday." That dire message received 17 "likes." That's pretty bad, but even worse, it was followed immediately by a comment from the unhappy young woman's own mother: "Couldn't agree more." While one wonders what could have happened to her already by 8 AM to fuel that sentiment, it's no wonder she talks that way; her mother spews curse words like a truck-driving, Mafia boss fishwife. And let's remember, Mommy does set the tone.

This point was driven home to me when my own son was about four. Stuck in our tiny coach seats seemingly forever, on the tarmac somewhere waiting for something or other to be fixed, I was reading him the same three books over and over, trying to keep him amused. I was about to sail into "Where the Wild Things Are" for like the third time, when Zack yelled, "I don't want to read that fucking book!" Mortified, I turned slowly to see if anyone had overheard his little outburst. The man seated directly behind me said, "Hey, don't look at me---I didn't teach him to say that."

It's way too late for my husband's cousins to become more prudent with their speech, and for me and my son as well, but I offer this cautionary tale to help anyone with little kids or grandchildren. Watch it.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...