Thursday, December 1, 2011

Some Things Matter More Than Others

My son and his cronies have been preaching for some time now that civilization itself is the biggest problem caused by and facing mankind. At first I scoffed at this idea and continued on our current path to destruction. Even now, after becoming wholly convinced that they are right--what with global warming and rampant drug addiction and worldwide economic collapse and violent protests across the globe and Herman Cain running for president, I sit here in my house crammed full of objects with the washing machine running, having just eaten a piece of toast and some fruit kept fresh in the refrigerator. I try to imagine myself doing the laundry down at the marina in South Freeport, then realize I would have very little of it to do, dressing in animal skins for the most part; certainly no more of those delicate hand-washables.

While I am not suggesting that everyone toss out the contents of their cupboards and closets this instant, I am finally coming around to believing that the human race is going to hell in a hand-basket because of all the stuff we buy and all the stuff we watch while sitting on our ever-increasing butts. Just as an experiment, say for one week or one month or however long you can stand it, stop watching TV and go for a walk instead. Stop feeding the Hollywood machine and say no to movies, which are truly just mass narcotics. Avoid all shopping malls, buy only what you need to live, eat only what you must to survive and donate your extra "things" to people in need.

I know what you're thinking: that will hurt the economy. Well, after the Fall we won't have an economy, nor will we need one. We also won't need manicures and pedicures, hairdressers, bowling alleys, Radio Shacks, pizza parlors and amusement parks. Life itself will become amusing enough. I stopped going to the movies many years ago and have thus "missed out" on all of those smash hits that everyone talks about for a day or so. I am happy to report it has not hurt me one bit. Similarly, days without TV seem less stressful and more productive, and the longer I stay away from shopping malls the better I feel. I will not, however, give away my new Marc Jacobs handbag which I bought online and which cost way too much money but makes me happy every day. Actually, I'm betting it will come in quite handy when I am out foraging for nuts and berries.


5 comments:

  1. :-) great piece! I must admit that getting rid of stuff is kinda liberating, but I do like some "things" too. So, :-) keep the Marc Jacobs!


    sent using iTechnology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deneb has never heard of Marc Jacobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Marc Jacobs either. Maybe when we do purchase something, you buy quality. I can't imagine anything made in the last 50 years ever making it to an "antique", even the iTechnology. That is old as soon as you buy it. So sad.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well, I guess it's because I'm a New Yorker at heart. Marc Jacobs is a handbag designer who makes quality goods that will definitely outlive me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this gave your son a big smile. I love this post. 10/10, Mrs. Rouda :)

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...