Monday, December 12, 2011

For My Next Act...

I am still trying to find myself, but I've been at it for many years and the truth is, I'm running out of places to look. What's worse, I'm not so sure I would recognize myself even if I found myself, since I've been wrong so many times before about who I am. But I guess that's a pretty common problem; these days, so many people are undiagnosed schizophrenics that it's not even considered odd. I just saw a TV commercial for a home pregnancy kit where a woman declares, "Your body can tell you're pregnant even before you can." Like, duh...isn't everyone cut off from their own brain?

In fact, I would settle for just a plain old split personality instead of the multiples I contend with daily. I know, I know--the mind and the body are separate. But come on, how separate are they really? Mine are very closely related, and in fact I never leave home without both. My husband says flatly, "Without a doubt: You are not your body." Well then who are you, I ask him. Your spirit, he says, making me think that perhaps I should have given that Jehovah's Witness more time.

Actually, my spirit is perfectly fine--it's my body that's always too fat or too stiff or in pain or seeking some sort of raison d'etre. For my next act, I am considering volunteering at the city art museum to satisfy my persistent need to "give back." It seems much less germy an atmosphere than a hospital, much more upbeat than an assisted living facility--not to mention a heck of a lot easier to say- and then there are all those fabulous paintings. Maybe I'll find myself there to boot.


3 comments:

  1. which city? which art museum? deneb wants to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get too excited, it's the Portland Museum of Art, not Red Butte Gardens or the Met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then again, one man's art is another man's trash. Not very impressed with "art" lately. Also, it is germy there. I see all those kids on the school trip "SOOOOOOO EXCITED" to go to the PMA. Yeah right. That is always where I wanted to go on my 3rd grade field trips. Best of luck.

    GL

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...