Saturday, October 22, 2011

It's Scary Being Fat

I wrote a blog post last May called "Fear of Fat Trumps Fear of Death," which has remained ridiculously more popular than any post I have written before or since, getting ten times the number of hits daily. I wondered why and did some snooping around, and found that there is a book called "Overcoming Fear of Fat," which I am not going to read as I like being afraid of being fat and have no desire to get over it. Apparently I am not alone in this: "The fear of being fat is overwhelming,” said Dr. Deborah McPhail, an expert in health and obesity from Memorial University of Newfoundland. “Young girls have indicated they are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of cancer, nuclear war or losing their parents.”

Personally, I would rather be fat than be in a nuclear war or have cancer. And while I would like to have my parents alive, by now they would be so old and likely require so much care that, were I fat, I would be hard-pressed to deliver, so I guess I'd rather be thin than have my parents alive. I would also choose being fat over having a tarantula loose in my home or having my child come to any harm. Otherwise, hold the gravy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...