Friday, September 9, 2011

Real Life Sucks

You gotta love my husband. Yesterday he asked, "Who is Kim Kardashian?" His query stemmed from one of his Facebook friends posting the picture above, with the comment: "When I heard the screaming fans outside my door I thought I had finally made it, but it was just Kim Kardashian."

I answered Mitch as best I could, saying she was a reality TV star in a family consisting of three sisters, a mother and a step-father named Bruce Jenner.  Mitch instantly recognized Jenner as a former Olympic athlete and one-time professional ball player. What kind of ball, he was not sure. (Turns out he was a runner who got the gold medal in the decathlon.)

Here's what else I know: They are very rich. The sisters, in their 20's, all have long, dark hair, big facial features, big boobs and even bigger butts. I think they live in California, possibly Orange County. One of them was recently on the cover of People magazine in her wedding gown, which cost something like 20 million dollars, or maybe that was the price of the wedding; I'd believe either. She married a man named Kris. (All their names start with a K: one of the others is named Khloe.) The mother has short black hair and is the cutest of the bunch. The dad, Bruce Jenner, looks freakish from too much plastic surgery and tanning, like a white Michael Jackson towards the end of his life. They dominate the tabloids and the Internet and sometimes even make the mainstream news.

The other day at the supermarket, I overheard the stringy-haired checkout girl say to the girl at the next register, "Kim Kardashian is my idol. I wish I could be her." The other girl answered, "Me too. Real life sucks."





2 comments:

  1. very scary.....says deneb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby, I think you also need a press agent. believe me, if you had one, they'd be lining up to see you!

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...