Friday, September 16, 2011

"O" Please.


Recently, while waiting in a long line at the supermarket checkout counter, I picked up a copy of "O," Oprah Winfrey's self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing, self-named periodical which always has a cover photo of her that has been photo-shopped to death so she looks 20 years younger and 40 pounds lighter, with glowing skin and smooth hair, very unlike the way she looks in all other pictures you see of her everywhere else. On this month's cover she is arm-in-arm with Rosie O'Donnell, everyone's favorite pudgy, pissed-off, potty-mouthed lesbian. Rosie is wearing a fancy dress and gold lame high-top sneakers, which I guess is supposed to be funny and irreverent. Oprah sports a tight red evening dress exposing considerable cleavage and with a slit high up one leg. They make quite the pair.

Skimming, I came first upon a full-page feature entitled, "Books That Made a Difference to Kevin Spacey." I wondered if it were a joke, decided I didn't care and moved on. Next came a giant Q and A, the Q being: "Is it my imagination or is my dandruff worse in winter?" Not having dandruff in any season, I put the magazine down, paid for my groceries and left the market, none the wiser for my brief foray into "O."

1 comment:

  1. deneb says: too bad more people can't have some of her timing and luck.

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...